Saturday, July 6, 2013

Daily’s Muffin デイリーズ・マフィン 022-778-5438


Website:  http://dailysmuffin.jp/

Address:  仙台市青葉区上杉3丁目 1-10.   Located about a 10-minute walk from either the Kotodai-koen or Kita-Yobanchō  Subway Stations, somewhat near the NHK Building.
Map:  Scroll down below.
Open:  Tuesdays thru Fridays, 8 am till they are sold out, which is early. Saturdays open from 11 am.  
Closed Sundays, Mondays, and Holidays.
I normally don't rush to judgment (ok, maybe I do sometimes), nor do I usually add eateries to my Favorites list casually, but Daily's Muffin definitely deserves a place at the top after my extensive research in the last few weeks.

Recently, my friend, Fong Xiong, introduced these wonderful muffins to my colleagues.  Unfortunately, there were only three muffins and a staff of seven that day.  To be fair, I cut a quarter of a banana/nama-chocolate muffin for the road.  Arriving at my destination, I partook of my small sampling. 
Heavenly!

I've never had a great muffin in Japan and was astonished as the creamy, sweet chocolate blended so wonderfully with the banana muffin.  I also felt selfish as I was then upset that I took only took a quarter of the muffin and not half.

The following week, Fong announced that he would be returning to Daily's Muffin and asked the staff if they would like anything.  I think he was sorry he asked.  Everyone in the office started rattling of their choices of muffins.

When Fong (a.k.a. The Muffin Man) returned, we didn't get what we wanted.
At that time, we didn't know that Daily's Muffin changes their menu on a weekly basis.  Alas, my lovely banana/chocolate muffin could not be had!

Fong chose a Royal Milk Tea with Caramel Muffin for me instead of my preferred banana/nama-chocolate.  But I don't like milk tea and I'm not crazy about caramel.  He gladly offered to take it himself if I passed on it, but I felt a bit adventurous.  I mean, how bad can a muffin be?
It wasn't bad, at all.  In fact, it was delectable!  If this is what milk tea tastes like, I may have to start drinking it.

In the following three weeks, three members of our staff and two students individually ventured to the Kamisugi shop to delight in these baked goodies.
Combined, our staff has probably purchased close to 50 muffins in this short period of time.  By the way, we don't have a large staff.

Speaking of which, there are a few things that I’d like to mention.  Unfortunately, these scrumptious muffins are hard to come by, as the shop closes as soon as they sell out, and they sell out quickly!  On this week’s visit at 12:45 pm, the shop was already sold out of muffins and the kind shopkeepers were just waiting for me to pick up my order so that they could close up shop.
First, the amiable proprietors are a young couple who opened Daily’s Muffin just four short years ago.   
Secondly, this is a bit of a difficult coffee shop to find, as their is no clearly visible signage indicating that a muffin shop is at that address.  Oops, did I forget to mention that you can savor their rich, deep coffee along with their savory snacks on the premises?   
Oh, the price: muffins are 290 yen.  

Here is the website for their menu:Lastly, I strongly advise you to peruse their menu online and then call to reserve your muffins for the day, otherwise, you’ll most likely be out of luck.

Doesn't exactly look like a muffin shop, does it?

Here are a few of the muffins either I, or my friends, have devoured.


プレーンマフィン
The plain muffin (vanilla & sugar):  Always a safe bet.  Sooooo delicious!




Oreo Cookie and Chocolate Chip Muffin
I didn't eat this one, but my friend, Rie, swore by it!



I'm not exactly sure what this was???
This was my dear friend, Yvonne's, choice for the day, a お楽しみマフィン, but neither she nor I remember what it was.  But it looks great!



Chocolate/Orange Muffin
This Chocolate/Orange combo was good, but it had been sitting in my car for seven hours, so it was a bit dry by the time I was able to taste it.



サクランボ/生チョコ Muffin
This Cherry/Nama-Chocolate muffin was listed as the お楽しみマフィン on this day, and I have to say that this was the best of the best!






Lemon and Caramel Muffin
I'm not crazy about caramel, but this was great, with just a hint of lemon.





桃のコンポート&ロイヤルミルクティ Muffin
This Peach/Milk Tea muffin was my wife's selection, which she raved about!


抹茶/生チョコ Muffin


This was also listed as the お楽しみマフィン for this week.  I usually don't like maccha-flavored foods, but this was wonderful!


My dear friend, Takayo, graciously gave me her mango/caramel muffin topped with coconut shavings.  This was a triple threat, as I don't care for mango, caramel, nor coconut shavings.  But to my surprise, this was amazing!  However, I forgot to take a picture.


And they just don't sell muffins.  Various chiffon cakes, cookies, and brownies are available daily.





Brownie


This brownie was good, but I would have preferred it a bit sweeter.


Oatmeal/Chocolate Chip/Almond Cookie

I guess I'm used to the sweeter Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookies I make myself, but for 150 yen, and considering it's difficult to find an oatmeal cookie in Japan, it's not bad.

I hope you get to experience the mouthwatering flavors of Daily's Muffin, but at the same time I'm afraid you may take my muffins.  




View Larger Map

2 comments:

jhagg said...

Hi, love your blog! I am here with my team for 3 weeks and we are looking for a taste of home. Any American style restaurants? Casa del sol looks promising for Mexican! Thanks for any advice :)

Picky in Sendai said...

Thank for reading, jhagg!
To tell you the truth, I can't think of any American-style restaurants that are worth recommending.
But if you're downtown, Billy's makes a great sandwich, and if you're in the Nagamachi-minami area, I highly recommend amo la Pizza or Bistro Ampoule.
There is a restaurant called Maverick that some people like that has an American-style menu, but I haven't been there since I started this blog. I hope you enjoy Sendai!